The Board of Governors seek applications from any interested parties, who believe they could devote the time and commitment that an appointment to the board of governors requires.
The Board of Governors are responsible for the strategic planning for the school in line with all its aims and goals and as we stand on the brink of the second 5 year plan being implemented by this board we believe that an injection of new blood can only augment progress made under the current stewardship.
Governing bodies are responsible for the strategic management of a school and will make decisions about a wide range of issues.
The core responsibilities involved are:
• Ensuring accountability
• Acting as a ‘critical friend’ to the Head Teacher
• Monitoring and evaluating the school’s progress
• Budgetary allocation and control
• Shaping plans for school improvement and overseeing their implementation
• Setting the school’s aims and values
• Appointing senior members of staff including the Head Teacher
• The governing body is usually split in to a small number of committees, each responsible for one area such as finance or pupil achievement. These committees will meet separately from the main governing body to discuss relevant issues in more detail. Discussion is then fed back at a full governing body meeting.
Fernhill School governing body can be made up of representatives from the school, the parents, and the wider community.
Governors perform the most important voluntary role in education and a full and diverse governing body can be a source of enormous strength to a school.
Governors provide an external perspective and an ability to challenge assumptions and look for the best solutions. They bring enthusiasm, experience and expertise from other areas of life and can act together as a well-balanced group of people to effectively support the Head Teacher and staff to drive the school forward.
Volunteering as a governor is a great way to contribute to the Fernhill School community, meet new people and improve the lives of the children. You will develop transferable skills and learn more about the education system whilst putting existing skills and experience to good use.
Written applications incorporating a detailed Curriculum Vitae should be forwarded for the attention of the Mr G Marini to Fernhill School, Fernbrae Avenue, Rutherglen, Glasgow G73 4SG.
Due to the nature of this voluntary role all appointments to Fernhill School Board are subject to a successful PVG clearance through Disclosure Scotland and positive reference checks.