The school originated as a Primary school run by the Sisters of Notre Dame in 1953. In 1971 it was announced for closure and a committee of parents was formed to keep the school open. In August 1972 the current school opened.To this day the school have very strong links with the Sisters of Notre Dame and enjoy visits by the sisters as well as healthy partnerships with other Notre Dame schools.
At that time there were four members of staff, with the committee serving as the Board of Governors, and the headmistress was Sister Gabriel, of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny. At this time, the school was still only a primary school, and in 1973 it opened a Secondary department. In it's current form the school is now a co-educational establishment for pupils aged 2-18.